How does this help some child living in Martin, South Dakota where the mean per capita income in 2010 was about $5,000 per year? By the way, Martin is the epicenter for poverty in the entire United States and the rest of the Pine Ridge communities are not doing much better. But, why worry, that child does not have internet service anyway and no computer on which to access it. No worries, I feel much better now.
Well, isn't that amazing. Last year Wikipedia reported one set of numbers for per capita income and poverty in Martin and surrounding Bennett County and now they have a new set and they are much improved. Four-fold in just one year. Deux ex machina and now it seems no one is starving or freezing to death. Does anyone have any personal knowledge on this score they could share?
* 97% of of the population at Pine Ridge Reservation live below federal poverty line.
* The unemployment rate vacillates from 85% to 95% on the Reservation.
* Death due to Heart Disease: Twice the national average.
* The infant mortality rate is the highest on this continent and is about 300% higher than the U.S. national average.
* Elderly die each winter from hypothermia (freezing).
* Recent reports point out that the median income on the Pine Ridge Reservation is approximately $2,600 to $3,500 per year.
* At least 60% of the homes are severely substandard, without water, electricity, adequate insulation, and sewage systems.
* Recent reports state the average life expectancy is 45 years old while others state that it is 48 years old for men and 52 years old for women. With either set of figures, that's the shortest life expectancy for any community in the Western Hemisphere outside Haiti, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Besides the obvious slaughter at various locations, I see a big drop-off in mortality around the 1890 mark. People appear on rolls and then no longer appear. It seems to me to be a phenomenon associated with the break-up of the extended family unit into little homesteads where isolation and loss of tradition and ceremony caused the survivors to lose interest in life and die-off. Of course that's just my interpretation. Take it with a grain of salt or any other condiment you might care to choose.